This is a comprehensive Dyson V6 vs V7review and I will be comparing and contrasting two of the most popular vacuum cleaners.
Dyson is one of the leading producers of a cordless stick vacuum. Over the years, they have established themselves as one of the top producers of cord-free vacuum. They are pretty similar brands with closer specs in terms of battery, motor and other features.
The V6 and V7 stand out as the most affordable cord-free vacuum cleaner from Dyson. This review will examine the basic features of each to guide you to pick a product that will suit your needs and budget.
Dyson V6 Review
The Dyson V6 is an entry-level cordless vacuum cleaner with a superb performance that makes it worth your choice.
It comes with an outstanding design that compensates for the suction power and run time, as it features the least run time and suction power of all Dyson cordless vacuum cleaners. The top-spec V6 Absolute features both soft roller and direct drive attachment which makes cleaning on a hard floor and soft floor like carpet easy.
This soft roller head makes the vacuum capable of handling pet litter on a hard surface without skidding or moving ahead. The direct-drive cleaning head makes it do a superb job of cleaning and getting rid of rice, pet hair, dust, debris, and kitty litter.
When the Dyson V6 series was released into the market, it was the most powerful cordless cleaner. While there are other powerful cleaners, it retains its standard as one of the best Dyson vacuum cleaners. Dyson V6 comes in 6 different variants that work as stick vacuums which can also be used as a hand-held vacuum.
There is the V6 absolute as the top variant which is the most expensive option because it comes with many important accessories essential to a vacuum cleaner. We also have the V6 Fluffy which features a soft roller cleaner ideal for hard floors. There is also the V6 Animal with similar feature to the V6 Absolute but does not come with a soft fluffy roller in its accessories. If you love a Dyson V6 cleaner and you are on a budget, consider the V6 Motorhead. It is cheaper and comes with fewer accessories. We also have the V6 HEPA which is like the V6 Motorhead but with the advantage of HEPA filters.
Pros of Dyson V6
- Superb filtration system
- Many cleaning accessories depending on your model of V6
- Reasonably priced
- Impressive cleaning performance
Cons of the Dyson V6
- Limited runtime
- Emptying the dust cap is clumsy
Dyson V7 Cleaner Review
Even though V7 was released after the launch of Dyson V8, it has many similarities, besides being sold at an affordable price. Dyson V7 comes in four variants: V7 Animal, V7 HEPA, V7 Absolute, and V7 Motorhead. These variants are pretty similar to V6 models. They, however, feature advancements present in the V7 model making them more user-friendly with optimum performance.
Pros of Dyson V7
- Improved dust cup design
- Reasonable run time
Cons of Dyson V7
- Limited accessories compared to the V6 model
Similarities of Dyson V6 vs. V7 Vacuum Cleaner
- Dyson version V6 and V7 are multifunctional. This means that the stick vacuum cleaner can be converted to a powerful handheld cleaner. The stick can be detached by using a button on the vacuum.
- The Dyson version V6 and V7 will be charged fully in five hours maximum. There is a cordless charging device as well which is fixed to the wall. The docking station does not take much space and is well built.
- Rather than using the continual vacuum system, the Dyson’s V6 and V7 employs a trigger system. This preserves battery life, giving you more run time. With this trigger system, users will hold the trigger while vacuuming. The vacuum stops when you let go of the trigger.
- Both variants feature the “max” power mode. With this, you can boost the suction power of the machine without sacrificing battery life.
- Dyson V6 and V7 both feature the 2-Tier Radial Cyclone system which is specially designed to suck in the dust, dirt, and debris at a high speed. This makes both cleaner stand out from other vacuums in the market.
Differences between Dyson V6 vs. V7
- Even though Dyson V7 is an upgrade to the V6 series, version V6 comes with a stronger suction power when it comes to cleaning
- In terms of battery life, Dyson V7 stands out with an extra 10 minute. In other words, while the Dyson V7 can run for over 30 minutes, the Dyson V6 cleans for only 20 minute
- There is advancement with a quick-release system in the crevice tool of Dyson V7. In addition to this, there is a direct drive cleaner which is not present in Dyson V6. There is also a slight variation between the attachments and accessories of the Dyson V6 and V7 series
Other Distinguishing Features
Other distinguishing factors separate both V7 and V8 models of Dyson vacuum cleaner. We will examine these features under the following subheadings
Suction and Power
Dyson version V7 offer more cleaning power than V6. Even though V6 is less powerful, the power of each does not vary significantly. V6 without a doubt will still do a terrific job of cleaning your carpets and hard floor.
In selecting a cordless vacuum cleaner, battery life is of utmost importance. It is one of the most critical factors that will determine how well you will enjoy your vacuum cleaner. Dyson version V6 doesn’t come with impressive battery life. Besides a maximum runtime of 20 minutes, it runs 6 minutes on turbo. This is not so enough to thoroughly clean the whole house. As a result, one might not rely on Dyson V6 as the main vacuum cleaner but a supplementary one.
Dyson version V6, on the other hand, comes with a total run time of 30 minutes in a regular setting. This is fairly enough time to clean your house. With the turbo setting, however, you have a total runtime of 7 minutes.
One of the downsides of most vacuum cleaners is the extensive charging period. Dyson, however, stands out in that it doesn’t involve an extensively long charging period.
Dyson V6 has a total charging period of three hours. This is good and reasonable, better than vacuum cleaners that come with a charging period of 15 hours and above.
Even though the V7 model comes with a bigger battery, it has a total charging period of 2.5 hours and extended runtime. This is a good improvement from the V6 version.
A vacuum cleaner filter is pretty important and should be considered before making a choice. This is so, especially if you or any of the family members have an allergy or asthma. Dyson version V6 comes with HEPA filters and a secured filtration system.
The simple explanation to this is that all air sucked into the vacuum must pass through the filter. The filter traps the allergens, leaving clean and harmless air out.
Dyson V7, on the other hand, does not come with a HEPA filter. Rather, there is a simple filtration system in it, which is not recommended for people with asthma or allergies.
As expected, Dyson version V7 is a little bit heavier than the V6 version. This is, however, not much of a concern as you are even less likely to notice except you have both cleaners.
Even with this, both cleaners do not weigh more than 5 Kg. As a result, you can use it for long without triggering excessive fatigue to your hand. Besides, this is the normal range of many vacuum cleaners.
I guess it is because Dyson version V6 is the first product; it has some complaints in terms of the canister and dust capacity. Many people even have a problem with the design of the canister.
On pressing the button to eject the debris, all of them do not fall out. Rather, most of the debris will be a stick in the shroud. You are left with no option but to pull them all out with the hand. This could be unhygienic and disgusting. Not only is this unhygienic, but it also consumes time.
This issue, however, was fixed in the Dyson V7. It comes with a bigger canister. On pressing the button as well, none of it will be stuck. It is simple as the entire dry debris falls out with ease.
Who is the Dyson V6 for?
- The Dylan V6 comes with some limitations. This is in terms of the run time which is 20 minutes. This is, however, effective for many spot-cleaning tasks. Also, the bin design could be somewhat frustrating to empty. This is because you might have to dismantle the components before you empty it. If you do not mind these limitations, you can choose Dyson V6.
- If you are tight on budget and prefer something cheaper, I recommend V6 Absolute. It is the top of the line series and will do a good job of giving you a sparkling floor.
- Dyson V6 is a versatile vacuum that will do a terrific job, like the V7 variant.
As long as you do not mind the limitations discussed above, Dyson V6 is a good choice. The major con is the limited run time and the dust cup design flaw. Besides that, it comes with a beautiful design, easy to use and will take care of all your cleaning needs. It also costs less than $269 on Amazon.
Who is the Dyson V7 for?
- If you need a longer runtime, we recommend Dyson V7 as it comes with much longer run time. Also, if you stay in a bigger home, Dyson V7 is a recommended option.
- If you do not want the limitation that comes with emptying your vacuum, we recommend going for Dyson V7 as it an upgrade of V6. All you have to do is pull up the red lever located on the machine. This makes the container go down and the shroud emptying the dirt.
Dyson V7 is a worthy upgrade over the V6 variant and comes with some improvement over some limitations of the V6. There is a better dust cup design which helps you empty the bin easily. One of the downsides is the limited accessories of the V7 as compared to the V6 variant.
Dyson V6 vs V7, which should you buy?
In addition to the above, there is a couple of things you should put in mind if you are interested in buying either of the Dyson variants. The following can guide you:
- Budget: If you do not mind investing some extra bucks on a vacuum cleaner, we recommend the Dyson V7 series. If you are, however, on a tight budget, the Dyson V6 series is a good choice.
- Features: the Dyson V7 and V6 models come in different variants. This might make it slightly difficult to select the best and most appropriate one for you. However, the Dyson V6 and V7 Absolute come with important accessories that will take care of your cleaning needs. If you are, however, not a big fan of these accessories, we recommend going for the model that suits your needs best.
- Space: It is also vital to consider the size of your house before making a selection. While the Dyson V6 vacuum cleaner will work well for smaller spaces, it is not recommended for big spaces. Rather, Dyson version v7 will handle bigger spaces effectively.
Put these in mind before making your selection
Conclusion: Dyson V6 vs V7 Review
This is a comprehensive review of the Dyson V6 vs V7 vacuum cleaner. We have examined the major things you need to know before making your choice. There are various variants of each model that will suit your needs. If you are confused about what to select, go for either the Motorhead or Animal version.